Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Caramel Apple Pound Cake


Doesn't this picture just look sinful? This cake was entered into our local county fair's apple cake contest. I entered this but did not place. I have to admit I was a little disappointed but that is OK. This cake is a winner for sure. There was a lot of competition and let's face it, we live in a small town. Just the smell of this cake baking screams fall. The caramel glaze just sends this over the top.



There is just something about a pound cake. Looks so heavenly in the pan.


I snapped quite a few shots at the fair of our daughter. She was super excited all day and could not wait to go. I will tell you just the smile on her face and the giggles were so worth it. I am sure her jaws are sore from smiling so much, I know mine are just by watching her. Love you sweet girl!


I just had to share a picture of the crepe myrtle tree in my Mom's neighbors yard. They remind me so much of my grandma just like this apple cake.



Caramel Apple Pound Cake

2  cups granulated sugar
1 1/2  cups vegetable oil
2  teaspoons vanilla
3  eggs
3  cups all-purpose flour
1 ½ teaspoon apple pie spice
1  teaspoon salt
1  teaspoon baking soda
2  medium apples, peeled and finely chopped (2 cups)
Caramel Glaze
1/2  cup butter or margarine
1/2  cup packed brown sugar
2  teaspoons milk

Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 12-cup fluted tube cake pan. In large bowl, beat granulated sugar, oil, vanilla and eggs with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in flour, salt and baking soda, & apple pie spice until smooth. Stir in apples. Pour into pan.
Bake 1 hour to 1 hour 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 20 minutes. Remove from pan to cooling rack.
In 2-quart saucepan, heat all glaze ingredients to boiling, stirring occasionally. Boil 2 minutes, stirring constantly; remove from heat. Spoon glaze over warm cake.

Enjoy! 

Linked up at:
Thursday Treasures @ Recipe for My Boys
Weekend Potluck @ The Country Cook
Foodie Friends Friday @ Walking on Sunshine
Everyday Mom's Meals Church Supper
Melt In Your Mouth Monday @ Make ahead Meals for Busy Moms
Mandie's Recipe Box Totally Tasty Tuesdays
Lady Behind the Curtain Cast Party Wednesday
Gooseberry Patch Recipe Round Up
Foodie Friday @ Simple Living
Semi Homemade Mom Show and Share Wednesday
Love Bakes Good Cakes It's Fall Ya'll Linky Party
Iron Chef Mom #1
Six Sisters Stuff Strut Your Stuff Saturday
Eat at Home Cooks Ingredient Spotlight-Apples
See Ya in the Gumbo @ Ms. Enplace
Gooseberry Patch Recipe Round Up Baked in a Bundt
Foodie Friends Friday Apple Recipes

30 comments:

Winnie said...

Such wonderful and delicious looking cake!
My family loooooooooooooves apple cakes, and I like to try new recipes all the time
I love what I see here :)

Lois Christensen said...

This cakes looks amazing! Enjoy your weekend!

Lisa @ Flour Me With Love said...

This looks scrumptious! I love pound cake and apples, so this is a perfect match ;)

Betsy Brock said...

yum...looks wonderful to me...

madge | the vegetarian casserole queen said...

This will be a fabulous fall treat! Pinning...

Krista said...

Oh yum! How perfect for fall! We have a local Apple Festival every October and love all the smells and foods. I could totally see this being served there! Thanks for sharing at Church Supper. Oh, and congrats on your feature from last week. Have a blessed week & come back soon ~EMM

The Farmers Wife said...

This looks absolutely delish!! I'm loving all the fall recipes I'm seeing now, and this is one of my favorites!

Marlys-thisandthat said...

This looks so good... I am drooling love caramel, so this is a perfect cake for me. Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday.
http://marlys-thisandthat.blogspot.com

Tanya-Lemonsforlulu.com said...

Looks delicious!!! Love the caramel sauce dripping down the side!!

April Phillips said...

Glorious. As soon as I buy a bundt pan, I MUST make this!! Thank you for sharing it!
~April
dimplesanddelights.blogspot.com

Lady Behind The Curtain said...

Love your recipe! Please come over to Cast Party Wednesday and share it with us. Thanks, I hope to see you there! ~Sheryl @ Lady Behind The Curtain~
http://www.ladybehindthecurtain.com/cast-party-wednesday-link-party-56/

LBP said...

I made your pound cake this weekend and it was delicious! I did have a bit of a problem with it that was totally my fault. I blogged about it today!

Thanks for the recipe!

Joan@chocolateandmore said...

I would give this cake a Blue Ribbon! Apples and Caramel together are a perfect fall combination. You're caramel glaze has me wanting to lick my computer screen. I'm featuring this at tomorrow's Thursday's Treasures. Thanks for sharing. Pinned.

From Sugar Cookies to Peterbilts said...

Found you over at Thursday's Treasures! Your cake looks amazing. When I get to the local orchards, I will be sure to try this :)

madge | the vegetarian casserole queen said...

Mmm. A wonderful fall dessert! Pinning...

Lady Behind The Curtain said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Your recipe has been chosen to be on Today's Feature Post from Cast Party Wednesday #56!
Thank you for sharing your recipe with us!
~Sheryl @ Lady Behind The Curtain~
http://www.ladybehindthecurtain.com/todays-feature-post-cast-party-56-4/

Diane Balch said...

The carmel glaze really puts this over the top. I would love it if you shared this on foodie friday today.

Becca's Dirt said...

I have never had an apple pound cake and can't wait to try this recipe. Looks yummy.

Bunny Wilson said...

Could you tell me what kind of apples you used for this delicious looking cake? Thanks so much!

Served up with Love said...

Bunny, I used granny smith apples but I am sure any good cooking apple will do just fine, hope you get to try it. It is some kind of good! Thanks for stopping by!

Bunny Wilson said...

Thanks for the reply. I'm making the list now and plan on baking it this afternoon - sounds so yummy!

Mackenzie said...

What a great recipe! Looks delicious! Thanks so much for entering this last week in the Iron Chef Mom link-up/contest for Apples on Cheerios and Lattes! We look forward to your chocolate recipes this week! :)
Mackenzie from the Iron Chef Mom Team :)

Misty @ Mimis Meals and Deals said...

That looks amazing!! Newest follower...found you on Mom On Timeout.

holy food said...

Valuable information ..I am delighted to read this article..thank you for giving us this useful information. Great walk-through. I value this post.holy food
religious food

MM said...

How could this not place? I'd give it a ribbon for the glaze alone. Thank you for linking with See Ya In the Gumbo this week.

alfred said...

Chocolate covered caramel entails a simple activity that the entire family can do together. Note that recipes are many too.

Caramel Glaze

Michelle said...

This cake looks fabulous. I love caramel. I chose it as my host favorite this week on Foodie Friends Friday, so it will be featured Monday on Daily Dish Magazine.

Renna said...

Having repinned this from someone on Pinterest, I decided to try it today, and take to our weekly church potluck tonight. I didn't have any apple pie spice on hand, but I found a recipe to make my own using cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, & cardamom. I was out of cardamom, so I ommitted it.

The cake was delicious, and the glaze really put it over the top. I had a little trouble keeping the glaze on the cake plate (needed a larger plate!), so I think the next time I make it, and there will be a next time, I will try it in a 9 x 13 pan, and maybe even double the glaze recipe. Only about a thousand calories, I know, lol!

Thanks so much for sharing the recipe! :D

Served up with Love said...

Renna, I am so glad you tried the pound cake, it is out of this world. I agree the glaze takes this over the top. This cake would be no matter how you make it. So glad you stopped by to let me know how it worked out for you. I have not made it yet this fall but plan to really soon.

Colleen said...

Oh this caramel glaze has me drooling. This cake is being added to my "must try" list for sure but something tells me I might eat the whole thing by myself! Thanks so much for posting this!

I've nominated you for the Liebster award!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...