Pumpkin Pie


Is it really less than two weeks until Thanksgiving?  I know sometimes it is easier just to grab a frozen pumpkin pie and pop it in the oven. I found myself one year having to host Thanksgiving at my house when my sister's family came down with the flu a couple days before. I didn't even have a turkey. I went to the grocery store that Wednesday night. I had to purchase a fresh turkey and all the fixings that I would need. Of course, because it was the day before a frozen pie was nowhere to be found. 


What am I going to do?  I started to say forget it, I don't have time to worry with a pumpkin pie, we will just have to work with what we had. The more I walked around the store, I knew it was not going to be the same without it. I ventured to the baking aisle in hopes I could find some Pumpkin Pie mix or canned pumpkin.  I found the pumpkin pie mix in a can, bought the ingredients I needed, and we were all set. It was not as easy as buying a pie and placing it in the oven but I realized I could make a pie the semi homemade way.  This made me realize just how easy it really is. 

When I made this pie last week I had a slight mishap. I shared my baking fail on my facebook page and realized I was not the only one this has happened to. Well as I was placing the pie in the oven, somehow it was not fully on the oven rack and it toppled over. It went all over the oven door and onto the floor. What a mess!  The hubby was home and came to my rescue and helped me clean it up. A roll of paper towels later we had it all cleaned up. I placed the second pie "carefully" in the oven and closed the door. My oven door was "raining" pumpkin pie filling. I tell you it was a fun mess!  It was not a total disaster though, it smells like pumpkin pie every time I bake now.  

You too can make a pumpkin pie. Don't be afraid to try. I tend to use a store bought pie crust. We can always use a helping hand every now and again. This pie can be made ahead of time and placed in the fridge. 



Pumpkin Pie




3/4 cup granulated sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
2 large eggs
1 can (15 oz.) canned pumpkin
1 can (12 fl. oz.) evaporated milk
1 unbaked 9-inch (4-cup volume) deep-dish pie shell  (I use two regular pie crusts)
Whipped cream

Mix sugar, pumpkin pie spice in small bowl. Beat eggs in large bowl. Stir in pumpkin and sugar-spice mixture. Gradually stir in evaporated milk. Pour into pie shell.

Bake in preheated 425° F oven for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350° F; bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 2 hours. Serve immediately or refrigerate. Top with whipped cream before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you. Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving me a comment!

Subscribe to my weekly newsletters for free recipes, tips, and printables.

* indicates required